We continued onto Route 9 toward the town of Hudson and decided to stay in Rhinebeck, NY (another 1.5 hours further away).
Some choices for staying include:
Olana at Hudson, NY
- Madalin Hotel in Tivoli, NY. A perfect stay in a gorgeous restored historic landmark, located in the heart of Tivoli, NY.
- Rhine Cliff Hotel in Hudson Valley is also a nice and serene. It's a boutique country hotel that's tucked away near the Rhinecliff Amtrak Station -- 5 minutes into the heart of Rhinebeck by taxi for shops and restaurants.
- Belvedere Mansion in Staatsburg, NY is where we stayed. Although, the rooms are very small, it has an outdoor pool and great tennis courts, useful for us since we're both avid tennis players.
- Maple Stone Inn is another hotel located in New Paltz that has a cozy, intimate feel and provides an excellent breakfast.
- Journey Inn is a contemporary style, with a good location near tourist sites such as the Culinary Institute of America.
- Terrapin Restaurant in Rhineback, NY. Josh Kroner is the chef and owner. He uses local vegetables from farms and provides excellent service every time we go. I particularly enjoyed their small dish menu.
- Arielle is a new restaurant in Rhineback, NY that is run by the Belvedere Mansion's owner. It had very good French and Mediterranean cuisine and a beautiful outdoor space.
- Culinary Institute of America at Hyde Park, NY. See great chefs on site while classes are in sessions. An amazing selection of desserts and small dishes to sample at their cafe' or if you feel like white table cloth service, you have choices from French to Fusion-inspired restaurants...It's the world's premier culinary college!
- Wings Castle in Millbrook is also a delightful place to visit and view the famous tourist site of castles and such.
- Fisher Museum is another place to take a look at for performing arts and incredible picnic ground located in Annadale at Bard College.
- Storm King Art Center
- Dia Art Foundation is another museum that is "internationally renowned for initiating, supporting, presenting, and preserving art projects, mostly collections from the 1960's."
- Dutchess Tourism provides many options of tourist sites that you may visit during your stay.
- Opus 40 is "about one hundred miles from New York City, tucked into a pocket of the Catskills near Saugerties, lies one of the most extraordinary pieces of sculpture ever created by a single man."
- Meads farm is also a perfect farm for family outing to pick succulent white peaches, cherries and berries this time of the year.
- Olana Estate Historic Site is my favorite where I took a great nap after 45 minute tour of the mansion over looking incredible view of the Hudson Valley and prestine Catskill. It's 250 acre, historic estate of Federick Church who made his fortune with Hudson Valley paintings and built the mansion based on his travels in the late 1800's, also 20 minutes from our hotel. There are many great trails for hiking with incredible views; so pack some water and great walking shoes, you are ready to explore New York in the country side.