There's an abundance of fresh, crisp asparagus in the market now, since it's in season.
A quick and easy preparation is as follows:
- Simply shave the bottom of the stalks.
- Fill a half cup cold water or just touching the bottom of pan and let the asparagus blanch for 7 minutes with healthy sprinkle of salt.
- Serve at room temp with French vinaigrette.
- Using a small bottle, add 3 tbsps of Dijon mustard, 2 diced shallots, 2 cloves crushed minced garlic, 1/8 cup champagne vinegar, salt, fresh crushed pepper and 1/4 cup of good olive oil.
- Close lid tight. Shake well.
For a light dinner, I serve with lamb meat balls with yogurt, cumin sauce, and a baguette.
When my friend James Oseland
from Saveur Magazine
comes into my studio for lunch, he does something even easier, just squeezing half a lemon and crushed pepper with olive oil over the cooked asparagus.